For this year’s celebration, couples
are invited to Mass with a special
blessing by Archbishop Salvatore
Cordileone at the Cathedral of
Saint Mary of the Assumption
Your RSVP would be
appreciated by January 26.
OUR DIOCESAN CELEBRATION OF WORLD MARRIAGE DAY AND NATIONAL MARRIAGE WEEK WILL BE ON SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 3, 2024!
For this year’s celebration, couples are invited to Mass with a special blessing by Archbishop Salvatore Cordileone at 10:00 am in the Cathedral of Saint Mary of the Assumption
Over the last two years, the National Eucharistic Revival has ushered the Catholic faithful into a greater faith and appreciation for the amazing sacramental gift of our Lord, who draws us to himself through our communion in his Body and Blood. As a practical way to incarnate the grace of the Revival into our families and communities, the bishops of California are dedicating the 2024-2025 pastoral year to helping the Catholic faithful renew and deepen our lived experience of the Sacrament of Marriage – which is modeled on the irrevocable covenantal love of God for his people expressed in the Eucharist.
Under the title “Radiate Love,” every Catholic community in California is invited to participate in this initiative, starting with the US Bishops’ National Marriage Week – February 7-14, 2024 – when couples all over the globe are called by God to invest in their relationships and let that love radiate out to the whole world, first and foremost in their own family. (Every year, National Marriage Week is February 7-14 and World Marriage Day is the second Sunday of February.)
This soft launch of the California Bishops’ initiative will be followed by monthly reflections, prayers, and other materials to help form the faith of Catholics of all ages, beginning in July, 2024.
Research consistently demonstrates that married couples experience great health, financial stability, and personal happiness. Moreover, it provides the best environment for raising children, offering them a better chance at life. Join National Marriage Week in celebrating love beyond words and creating a lasting impact on the institution of marriage. For more information and to get involved, visit www.MarriageWeek.org.
Your RSVP would be appreciated by January 26.
Here are more ways couples can observe National Marriage Week (Feb. 7-14) and World Marriage Sunday (2nd Sunday of February):
- Celebrate National Marriage Week At Home! (PDF Flyer with tips and ideas)
- Guía de retiro diario de la Semana Nacional del Matrimonio en Casa (de los obispos de los EEUU)
- At-Home National Marriage Week Daily Retreat Guide (from the USCCB)
- Novenas for Married Couples (PDF Flyer with links)
- Couples Novena
- National Marriage Week website
- The Marriage Kit by SmartLoving – on sale – 50% off thru Feb. Code: MarriageWeek24
Other resources for couples:
– “Ways to pray as a couple” here
– protecting your relationship from the “Four Horsemen” by Dr John Gottman
–Building a Eucharistic Marriage – excellent online course, or sign up for free weekly tips (scroll to bottom of page)
– nice video clip on how to argue productively (secular site, language)
– Great new resource for parents – The Archdiocese of Detroit has developed a great resource for parents, to anticipate difficulties for their children, help accompany them, and seek answers for them. The website is here; just go to the site and pick a topic of concern. It will take you to an overview – click on “read more” and find more information and many many current resources, videos and text. All are vetted by a Catholic psychologist. There is also a useful guide for communication. Try it!
The Archdiocese of San Francisco Office for Marriage & Family Life offers many resources for married couples to help enrich and strengthen your marriage. Please check out our marriage enrichment webpage to see what is available.
You can also sign up for our bimonthly newsletter of resources and upcoming events here by emailing the director, Ed Hopfner.